Get off the beaten path and discover some of Durham's smaller neighborhoods and local attractions, which offer something for everyone.
Browse our interactive map to explore Durham by location, including dining, shopping, things to do, and more.
Hayti and NCCU
Durham's Hayti community was once one of the most unique and successful African-American communities in America. It flourished from the 1880s to the 1940s, becoming known as the Black Capital of the South.
Urban renewal efforts undertaken in Durham effectively eliminated this thriving community, but some of its history and heritage are preserved by the St. Joseph's Historic Foundation at the Hayti Heritage Center, which anchors this district along with North Carolina Central University further south on Fayetteville Road.
- See a show at St. Joseph's Performance Hall at the Hayti Heritage Center, a 400-seat national landmark in the former St. Joseph's AME Church.
- Visit the NCCU Art Museum for one of North Carolina's leading collections of works by African-American artists.
- Take a walk around NCCU's campus. NCCU was the first publicly funded liberal arts college for African Americans in the country.
Northern Durham is full of older neighborhoods with distinct character, expansive picturesque farms, as well as city parks and nature areas.
Interstate 85 Corridor
Along Interstate 85 in Durham lies a bevy of visitor resources, along with a thriving Hispanic community.
- Flit with butterflies at one of the largest butterfly houses in the United States at the Museum of Life + Science, an award-winning, family-friendly indoor and outdoor experiential science center.
- Delight in eastern North Carolina-style hand-chopped barbecue at Hog Heaven.
- Shop over 140 businesses at Northgate Mall.
- Enjoy authentic tacos and a salsa bar at Super Taqueria.
15-501 at Mt. Moriah
This commercialized area near the intersection of Hwy. 15-501 and Mt. Moriah Rd. is part of the main thoroughfare between Durham and Chapel Hill.
- Sleep tight right off of Interstate 40 at one of several lodging properties. Choose from amenities like complimentary breakfast, high-speed wireless internet, and access to a fitness center.
- Find everything you need (and everything you didn't know you needed!), including clothes, shoes, and wine at big-box retailers in New Hope Commons and Patterson Place shopping centers.
- Choose from more than a dozen restaurants, including many nationally recognizable brands.
Browse Other Districts:
BOOK YOUR TRIP
CALL (866) 361-6717