Maplewood Cemetery was founded in 1872 as a public cemetery on a five-acre tract on the west side of Kent Street. The site was way out on the in the country then. The area was given over to farms and the Fitzgerald brickworks. The cemetery has grown steadily. Today it occupies 117 acres with 97 or so developed.
Join Preservation Durham, as they tell the story of those who lie at Maplewood, and help us understand where and who Durham was, in order to better understand where we live today!
All ticket sales go to support the mission and work of Preservation Durham, including the Preservation Equity Project, and the Open Durham website.